- Average Rating:
5 Hours 45 Minutes
07 Dec, 2018
- Product Code:
- Media Type:
- Never expires.
Scott Berglund, OTR/L, MOT, is a licensed occupational therapist practicing in the state of Wyoming with an emphasis in pediatrics. He is a recognized expert in vision and movement and has been doing rehabilitation in the areas of vision and its relationship to reading for the past 10 years. Over that time, he has taught classes in Dyslexia Rehabilitation and Beyond Dyslexia in multiple settings.
He has helped to develop reading rehabilitation programs for clinics in multiple states. Scott is certified in the McInnis Assured Readiness for Learning, the ARL Phonological Awareness Program and the original Rosner Auditory Motor Program. His research looks into the connection between the eyes, auditory system and movement and its effect on reading challenges.
Financial: Scott Berglund is owner and president of Silver Linings Therapy Group – CJB Enterprises, LLC. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Scott Berglund has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Recognize the anatomy of the visual system in relation to the motor and auditory systems and how they work together to affect and rehabilitate visual issues.
- Determine functional movement, reflexes, and righting reactions and the influences on reading, handwriting, and play.
- Identify quick and easy ways to detect visual challenges in a child through his or her productivity and functional responses in various locations.
- Implement the treatment for parallel pathway learning by utilizing movement and balance.
- Discover positioning and its effect on visual processing, focus, eye teaming, and hand-eye speed.
- Demonstrate researched based visual rehabilitation techniques for unilateral neglect, visual perceptional challenges, ocular conditions, scotopic sensitivity and cross dominance.
ANATOMY OF THE VISUAL SYSTEM
VISUAL-MOTOR INTEGRATION IN THE BRAIN
- Pathway of sight
- Parallel pathways and the LGN
- Parvocellular retinal ganglion cells
- Magnocellular retinal ganglion cells
- Pathway overlap and short circuits (Dyslexia Theory)
- Primary visual areas
- Secondary visual areas
- Interpretation of these areas
POSITIONING, MOVEMENT, & THE EFFECTS ON VISION
- Primary motor pathway
- Cortical interactions between the motor system and the visual system
- Secondary visual area interaction
CROSS DOMINANCE: WHEN HAND DOMINANCE & EYE DOMINANCE DON’T MATCH
- Reflexes: acquiring visual-motor control
- Righting reactions: proprioception, vestibular, and visual system interaction
- Pelvic girdle: power, visual awareness, and alertness
- Shoulder girdle: head and neck control, ocular motor activation
UNILATERAL VISUAL NEGLECT
- Defining and identifying cross dominance
- Why do we have a dominant eye when half of each eye has control?
- Directionality and play issues
- Handwriting issues
- Reading challenges
- Treatment techniques and relationship to the brain
- Discrimination training
- Vertical midline activities
EYE TEAMING TRACKING & SACCADES
- Definition of neglect and the identification
- Issues during play, work, and school
- Handwriting clues associated with visual neglect
- Environmental adaptions
- Treatment techniques
- Reflex training
- Midline exercises
- Musculature of the eye
- What do problems look like?
- When should I treat and when should I refer?
- Reading problems
- Handwriting problems
- Gross motor problems
- Orthopedic pelvic dysfunctions
- Training and lab
- Focus/refocus exercises
- Motor system treatments
- Reading training
SCOTOPIC SENSITIVITY & ITS SECONDARY EFFECTS
- Understanding visual processing
- Visual spatial relations
- Visual figure ground
- Effects on handwriting
- Reading challenges
- Treatment techniques
- Space-moment and cortical learning
- Relationship to saccades and eye teaming
- Definition and theory
- Effects on visual pathways and secondary visual areas
- Treatment techniques and effect on visual spatial relations, tracking, and scanning
- Case study
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Early Intervention Staff
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Pediatric Nurses
- School Nurses
- Case Managers
Total Reviews: 31