- Average Rating:
Mary Pipher |
1 Hour 39 Minutes
23 Mar, 2019
- Product Code:
- Media Type:
- Never expires.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates
PsychOz Publications, in collaboration with PESI in the USA, offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognized by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation. This online program is worth 1.75 hours CPD.
Mary Pipher, PhD, is the author of 10 books, including her latest, Women Rowing North: Navigating the Developmental Challenges of Aging.
Financial: Mary Pipher is an author who receives royalties.
Non-financial: Mary Pipher has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Sara Gilliam, MFA, MEd, is Editor-in-Chief of Exchange, the leading magazine for early childhood professionals.
Financial: Sara Gilliam is the founder of Pyrenees Consulting. She is Editor-in Chief for the Exchange Magazine.
Non-financial: Sara Gilliam has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Explore the vulnerability girls feel to social media messages on platforms like Instagram and Snapchat.
- Discuss the clinical implications of girls’ reluctance to enter the world of dating and their postponement of sexual intimacy even as they are exposed to hookup culture and online pornography.
- Discover how to reconnect girls to the nonvirtual world and help them regain their vibrancy, sense of self, and authenticity.
Comparison of Key Cultural Changes Between Three Generations of Girls Growing Up in the Decades of the 1950s Through the Present, in Rural America
Effects of Dysfunctional Cultural Trends on Teen Girls
- Family and community relationships
- Communication and technology
- Global culture and information flow
- Identity, development of sense of self
- Disillusionment and self-destructive behaviors
- Self-harm and at-risk behaviors
- Intense anger with parents, especially teen girls toward their mothers
- Case examples
Depression and Self-Harm
- Increase in suicide rates and self-harm behaviors
- True selves vs. created online selves
Anxiety – Impacts and Effects
- Immediate coverage of mass shootings and the “lock down generation”
- social media: body shaming and selfie-harm
- fear of violence and date rape
- short-term and long-term effects of chronic anxiety
- false selves vs. true selves
- loneliness, less actual social interactions
- decrease in dating and close relationships with parents and others
Interventions to Help Teen Girls Grow with a Healthy Sense of Self
- Connecting with others and the natural world
- Parental involvement in social media oversight
- Impacts of employment and challenges to succeed
- Embedding in a community
- Being aware, being honest
- Addiction Counselors
- Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- other Behavioral Health Professionals
Total Reviews: 40