- Average Rating:
6 Hours 09 Minutes
- Audio and Video
Nov 08, 2019
- Product Code:
- Media Type:
- Also available:
- Never expires.
Catherine Darley, ND, is a leader in integrative sleep medicine. She founded The Institute of Naturopathic Sleep Medicine, Inc in 2003, and since then has helped people of all ages sleep well using behavioral and naturopathic approaches for sleep disorders. Dr. Darley led the Start School Later initiative in Seattle, which succeeded in improving school hours for more than 50,000 students.
She teaches at Bastyr University and the National College of Natural Medicine and is on the inaugural panel of experts for the Sleep Cycle Institute. Dr. Darley is published in numerous professional journals, has been quoted in several popular magazines, and has appeared on TV to share her expertise. She received her Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University and completed a preceptorship at the Stanford University Sleep Disorders Center.
She is an expert and dynamic speaker, teaching a wide range of groups through engagement, storytelling, and with a clear explanation of the mechanisms of sleep, circadian physiology, and treatment protocols.
Financial: Catherine Darley founded The Institute of Naturopathic Sleep Medicine, Inc. She is on faculty at Bastyr University and the National College of Natural Medicine. Dr. Darley receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Catherine Darley has no relevant non-financial relationship.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Identify which mental health symptoms accompany the many sleep disorders and its clinical implications.
- Assess your clients’ symptoms for sleep disorders that impair mental health to improve treatment outcomes.
- Teach clients how to identify their optimal sleep quantity and resolve their sleep debt to improve client level of functioning.
- Develop an optimal individual sleep treatment plan for your clients and implement skills to help them adopt the sleep healthy lifestyle.
- Determine when referral for further sleep disorders treatment is an appropriate approach to manage symptoms.
- Evaluate the mechanisms by which insufficient sleep and sleep disorders contribute to mental health problems for purposes of client psychoeducation.
Assessment Techniques to Evaluate Sleep Disorders
- Sleep mechanisms and importance of circadian rhythms
- Key clinical interview questions
- Why your clients need a sleep diary and how to implement it
- Practical screening questionnaires
Sleep Disorders Associated with Common Mental Health Disorders
- Differentiate sleep symptoms vs. mental health symptoms
- Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea with co-occurring disorders
- Additional other disorders
- Narcolepsy and its impact on mental health
- Correlation between nightmares and suicidality
- Sleep recommendations for PTSD
- Behaviorally Induced Insufficient Sleep Syndrome
- Insomnia increases risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Classes of sleep disorders and their associated mental health symptoms
- Circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders
- Sleep movement disorders
- Sleep breathing disorders
The Bi-Directional Impact of Medications
- Medications can interfere with sleep
- Common side effects of hypnotics
- Melatonin – how to naturally increase & when to use a supplement
- Nutritional supplements and herbal medicine
Sleep Deprivation and Mental Health: Recognize Symptoms and Implement Solutions
- 5 domains of sleep deprivation
- Cognitive performance – decreases simple memory, complex problem solving and verbal fluency
- Physical performance – increases drowsy driving and auto accidents
- Physical health – weakens the immune system and increases risks of serious health issues
- Mental health – intensifies anxiety, impulsivity, and emotional liability
- Emotional intelligence – impairs moral and ethical decision making
- Implement behaviour-modifying exercises
Interventions to Correct Circadian Misalignment
- Consequences of desynchrony with natural sleep cycle
- Treatment plans to protect shift workers from anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders
- Manage mania associated with jetlag
- Mental health risk of night owls
- Strategies for clients who frequently travel
- How to regulate circadian physiology
- Body clock
- SCN in the brain
- Cellular mechanisms
- Balance out melatonin rhythm
Assess Children’s Sleep Issues and Implement Strategies to Improve
- ADHD, sleep disorder, or both?
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea often mistaken as other mental health symptoms in children
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Sleep and naps are critical for development and growth
- Children’s sleep screening and recommendations
- Step-by-step guide for parents to help kids sleep better
Techniques to Evaluate and Improve Teen Sleep
- How to determine a teenage client’s natural circadian rhythm
- Dangers of sleep deprivation in adolescents
- Increased negative risk taking
- Correlation between lack of sleep and suicidality
- Decreased academic achievement and decision making ability
- Higher rates of juvenile delinquency
- Driving drowsy and car accidents
- Tools for increasing teens’ sleep
- School start time – how to advocate for change
Practical Methods to Create a Sleep Healthy Lifestyle
- Develop individualized healthy sleep plans for your clients – not a cookie cutter approach
- Get clients to “yes” in prioritizing optimal sleep
- Behaviour-modifying exercises to help clients snap out of their sleep-depriving habits
- Address family and couple dynamics to allow everyone healthy sleep
- Tips and tricks for evening cell phone use to promote better sleep
- Techniques to reinforce long-term sleep health
- When to make a referral
- What clients can expect from sleep disorder treatments
- Social Workers
- Addiction Counselors
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Case Managers
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Total Reviews: 86