Continuing Professional Development Certificates
PsychOz Publications, in collaboration with PESI in the USA, offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognized by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation. This online program is worth 6.25 hours CPD.
Debra Premashakti Alvis, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist and private practitioner with over 25 years of clinical experience in supporting clients’ recovery from shame, trauma, anxiety, depression and relational concerns. A seasoned international presenter and consultant, Dr. Alvis is also a therapeutic yoga educator and a lecturer at the University of Georgia where she developed and led the Mind/Body Program. The program included a clinician training program integrating contemplative approaches in psychotherapy. A 30-year personal contemplative practice, research experience, and a deep understanding of mindfulness and yoga further enrich her presentations. She draws upon this unique background to provide effective and easily applicable skills designed for immediate integration into clinicians’ practices.
Financial: Debra Premashakti Alvis is in private practice. She receives compensation as a Professor for the University of Georgia. Dr. Alvis receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Debra Premashakti Alvis has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Evaluate ways that autonomic nervous system dysregulation contributes to PTSD symptoms.
- Ascertain symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder which can be decreased through a trauma-sensitive yoga practice.
- Practice trauma-informed chair yoga postures for use in the individual or group psychotherapy session.
- Determine the benefits of bringing yogic deep relaxation into the therapy session.
- Specify yogic strategies to help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression in clients.
- Apply applications of chair yoga and three-part deep breathing practices into your clinical work, using scripts and practice sessions.
The Yoga Tradition and Neuropsychology
- Yoga, Patanjali and MIR’s
- The importance of heart rate variability (HRV)
Apply Trauma-Informed Yoga Postures in the Psychotherapy Session for PTSD, Anxiety and Depression
- The Triune Brain: left out of traditional psychotherapy?
- Regulating the brain’s trauma centre
- Tracking body sensation and breathing deeply
- A frame of reference from Somatic Psychotherapy
- Neuroplasticity and interpersonal neurobiology
Yoga and the Breath
- The evidence in evidence-based yoga practice
- Yoga and polarities
- Guided script for chair yoga:
- 5 trauma-informed chair yoga postures
- Guiding and integrating the poses into your existing treatment modality (EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, etc.)
- Chair trauma-yoga:
- Tracking body sensation
- Gaining self-mastery
- Increasing self-regulation
- Expanding present-moment awareness
- Experience a chair yoga warm up and posture sequence
Structure of the Embodied Psychotherapy Session or Group
- Respiration and the autonomic nervous system (ANS)
- Breathing techniques to regulate the ANS and calm symptoms of trauma, anxiety and depression
- Experience the three-part deep breath and script
Therapeutic Value of Yoga Nidra (Yogic Sleep)
- Evaluating the client
- Opening the session
- Healing polarities:
- Sympathetic/parasympathetic activation
- Healthy symptoms of trauma discharge
- Key points in making referrals to yoga classes
- The benefits of sleeping while awake
- Varieties of Yoga Nidra
- Guided experience of Satchidananda’s Yoga Nidra
- Discussion of Yoga Nidra script
- The relaxation response
- Mindfulness meditation: open-focused meditation
- A guided experience of both styles of meditation
- The benefits of meditation in the trauma psychotherapy session
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Addiction Counsellors
- Nurse Practitioners
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Other Mental Health Professionals
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
All physical products (Books, DVD's, etc.) are shipped from the United States and will be dispatched through FedEx International. As soon your order ships, you'll receive an automated e-mail with your tracking information. Tracking details can also be found directly on your account.
Total Reviews: 78