- Average Rating:
5 Hours 57 Minutes
- Audio and Video
30 Nov, 2018
- Product Code:
- Media Type:
- Never expires.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates
PsychOz Publications, in collaboration with PESI in the USA, offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognized by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation. This online program is worth 6.0 hours CPD.
Dafna Lender, LCSW is a licensed clinical social worker who has worked in the field of child welfare and child mental health for 20+ years. Dafna serves as the program director at The Theraplay® Institute in Evanston, IL and is certified as a practitioner, supervisor and trainer in both Theraplay® and Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP). Dafna trains psychotherapists internationally in these methods and trains in three languages.
Dafna’s focus is children’s development of a secure attachment with their caregivers while resolving issues in their traumatic history. Early in her career, Dafna worked in treatment foster care and witnessed child after child “fail” out of foster placements due to difficult behavior. Children were disruptive, unsettled and unhappy, and their caregivers felt defeated. Dafna’s sense of discouragement went away after taking the Theraplay training and learning direct, concrete ideas and interactions that she could apply in home with her treatment families to promote healthier, stable relationships. Dafna has successfully treated children with a variety of backgrounds, including children raised in orphanages, with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, exposed to domestic violence and community violence and children of parents with chronic mental illness.
Financial: Dafna Lender has an employment relationship with The Theraplay Institute. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Dafna Lender has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Describe the purpose of each of the four Dimensions of Relationship: Structure, Engagement, Nurture and Challenge.
- Assess child behavior to determine which of the four dimensions a child is in need of.
- Demonstrate one activity from each dimension.
- Compare and contrast interventions to focus and calm an overactive/chaotic child.
- Discuss interventions that turn a child’s resistance into cooperation.
- Implementation techniques for effectively capturing a child’s attention.
- List methods for reengaging an angry/discouraged parent.
The 4 Dimensions of Theraplay®
Calm an Overactive/Aggressive/Oppositional Child
- To Address Behavioral Problems and Gain Connection Cooperation
- Structure: organization and safety
- Engagement: connection, joy, co-regulation of strong emotions
- Nurture: calming, emotional nourishment, secure base
- Challenge: recognition, ride, celebration of self
Engage the Disconnected Child
- Strategies to prevent outbursts and trauma-based aggression (The P.R.O.M.P.T) method)
- Optimal movement
- Touch response
- Techniques to identify non-verbal signs of stress
- Activities for turning resistance into a connecting experience
- Video case examples: transformation from aggressive & uncooperative to focused & relaxed
Promote Positive Parent-Child Relationship
- Strategies to capture and keep a child’s attention (The G.R.E.A.T. method)
- Eye contact
- Tone communication
- Activities that children can’t resist getting involved in
- Cotton ball war
- Shaving ball pass
- Interventions to turn passivity into cooperation
- Aluminum foil print
- Paper punch
- Techniques to make sense of non-verbal communication & get child to start talking
- Cotton ball blow
- Balloon pass
- Video case example: before and after of clients ages 1-17
- Activities to strengthen the parent-child attachment
- Cotton ball hockey
- Mirror mirror
- Techniques to increase empathy by using eye contact, touch and turn-taking
- Eye signal dance
- Slippery slip
- Activities that create and solidify connection by fostering moments of joy
- Balancing pillows
- Feather decorate
- Interventions to decrease arguments and gain cooperation
- Identify a child engaging in a power struggle before they do
- Identify when oppositionality is really a trauma reaction
- Empathy to melt oppositional behaviors
- Know when to cool it
- Strategies to increase self-esteem and make a child feel unique
- Special snack
- Twinkle song
- Favorite things
- Powder prints
- Video case example: high and low functioning clients
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Language Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Case Managers
- Marriage & Family
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Total Reviews: 223