- Average Rating:
Elaine Strid, Ph.D., LPC
12 Hours 33 Minutes
- Audio and Video
Jun 28, 2017
- Product Code:
- Media Type:
- Never expires.
Elaine Strid, PhD, LPC, holds a doctorate in clinical psychology and two master’s degrees; one in counseling and the other in pastoral studies. Dr. Strid completed Level I & Level II EMDRIA trainings and has used EMDR in her private practice for over 15 years. Dr. Strid uses EMDR in conjunction with other therapy techniques and alone in resolving current crises, relationship issues and debilitating flashbacks.
Dr. Strid has worked with Safe House, Domestic Violence, and Victims Assistance programs including clients that have had trauma occur within the last 72 hours to resolve their acute stress using EMDR. She advocates for the pursuit of new wisdom and evidence-based techniques that can be applied in clinical practice to help clients move beyond trauma into a skilled, assured lifestyle.
Financial: Elaine Strid is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Elaine Strid has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Evaluate the biological nature of trauma; how trauma is stored in the brain and limbic system, creating physical and psychological symptoms.
- Determine the purpose and practice of EMDR for the treatment of trauma.
- Analyze the neurobiology of how EMDR works relating to trauma treatment.
- Determine effective techniques to reduce/eliminate client’s body memories, “flashbacks’ and dissociation.
- Simulate via a demonstration how to use EMDR for trauma.
- Analyze Shapiro’s 8-Phase Model of EMDR as it relates to treatment.
- Evaluate potential in-session barriers to EMDR progress and identify strategies to mitigate them.
- Develop EMDR-focused psychoeducational materials to share with your clients.
- Teach your clients to use EMDR informed strategies when triggered in public and in relationships.
- Incorporate meridian-based techniques to decrease arousal levels and modulate affect with traumatized clients.
- Evaluate the research behind using EMDR in combination with other modalities such as CBT and mindfulness and the clinical effectiveness for clients.
- Reinforce when it is appropriate to use EMDR techniques to use when triggered in session with your clients and/or yourself.
EMDR & How it Changes the Brain
- Definition: Origin from Francine Shapiro
- Purpose in resolution of trauma
- How EMDR rewires the brain
EMDR 8 Stages Protocol and More
- Get the client ready for EMDR
- Identify and explain the 8 Stages
- How to handle dissociation
- Checking the safety in the safe place
- SUDs (Subjective Units of Distress)
- Negative and positive cognition
- Installing the positive
- Using body scans
- Being very present and aware of your client
- What to do when things aren’t working well
EMDR Techniques for You and Your Clients
- Safe place techniques for clients outside of therapy
- EMDR when flashbacks happen
- Butterfly hug
- Hot water bath
- Foot in shoe tapping
- Breathing out the bad, In with the good
Teaching EMDR Techniques to Clients
- Entry level - benefits to develop safety to use in session
- Add to the client’s toolbox while trauma resolution is occurring
- Develop the client into 3 confidence levels using EMDR techniques:
- Safety with self
- Safety with others they are close to
- Safety with strangers & general safety in public
Importance of Positive EMDR/Positive Cognition Reinforcement
- Practice counselor confidence with EMDR
- Find where the deficits are
- Build self-control, confidence and character traits in your clients
- Help clients develop skills in maturity in relationships
- Help them become more self-aware
- Somatization awareness
- Emotional shutdowns
- Inability to bond
- Build self-value in clients
- Bonding/attachment skills
- Confidence in goal setting
- Capabilities to say no/yes to their dreams
How to Pair EMDR with Other Therapies
- Research base for using EMDR with other therapy techniques
EMDR in Action- Practice Throughout Both Days
- Watch a transformation via an EMDR demonstration
- Practice with questions and body scanning
- Practice of positive cognition and new brain traits
- Use EMDR in fear situations
- EMDR for confidence building
- Restore Self from Compassion Fatigue for yourself
Where to Go from Here?
- EMDRIA Certification guidelines and information
- More intensive EMDR trainings
- Other EMDR resources
Addiction Counselors, Case Managers, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Nurses, Psychologists, Social Workers, and other Mental Health Professionals.
Total Reviews: 3