Full Course Description
Psychopharmacology: What You Need to Know Today about Psychiatric Medications
- Articulate the clinical uses of the five major psychotropic medication classes-antidepressants, mood stabilizers, anti-anxiety agents, antipsychotics and psychostimulants- including their efficacy and their common side effects.
- Communicate the potential benefits and risks of using psychotropic medication to treat a wide array of conditions.
- Explore psychotropic medication treatment options for clients with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Analyze the actions, therapeutic uses, and side effects of antidepressants in adults and children.
- Implement effective methods for collaborating with clients, families and prescribers in order to build a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Explore specific ethical issues and their resolve to the everyday practice of clinical psychopharmacology.
- Biological Psychiatry
- Neurotransmitters: The theoretical emotional signaling chemicals of the brain
- DSM-5® and Psychotropic Med Use Depression
- Antidepressants: How they are thought to work
- Other common antidepressants – and why they are used
- Side effects and risk factors
- Herbals and depression
- Treatment-resistant depression
- Improving Patient Compliance with Mental Health Medications
- hat you and your clients should know
- Bipolar Spectrum
- Medicating Bipolar disorder
- Current “gold standard” treatment and side effects
- Anticonvulsant and antipsychotic use in Bipolar disorder
- Anticonvulsant side effects
- Risks of medication non-compliance
- New! Controversial concepts in treating Bipolar spectrum
- The Many Manifestations of Anxiety
- Medicating anxiety
- Medications used to treat insomnia
- Using anxiolytics safely
- Side effects of the anxiolytics
- How antipsychotic medications are thought to work
- Conventional antipsychotics
- Second generation agents
- Antipsychotic side effects
- Relapse and non-compliance
- Controversy Surrounding Antidepressants in Treating Children and Adolescents
- Antidepressants and suicide in children: The real truth
- Medicating anxiety in children
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder – the new pediatric bipolar disorder?
- ADHD Medications – What’s New, What’s Old. Stimulants, Non-Stimulants, and some surprises!
- The evolution of psychostimulants
- Alzheimer’s Medications, Treatments, Theory and Controversy
- What’s Next: Newly Approved Mental Health Medications