Full Course Description
Session 1 (Lynn Grodzki): The Future of Private Practice
Update your vision of how to build and maintain a successful 21st century practice by:
- Understanding the changing needs and habits of today’s mental health consumer.
- Confronting your own inner obstacles to developing a more entrepreneurial mindset.
- Learning a 4-step model for strategic business planning focused on the 4 R’s: Review, Recommit, Rebrand, and Reinvest.
- Honing a business “mantra” to give discipline and persistence to your practice development plan.
- Choosing a therapeutic “track” and a niche that fit your skills, outlook, and the practice opportunities in your community.
- Apply a four-step model for strategic business planning to your practice.
- Develop a personal business “mantra.”
- Identify a therapeutic “track” that aligns with your skills and background.
Session 2 (Joe Bavonese): Branding Your Practice
Explore how the internet and social media can enable you to attract more clients and achieve more business success by:
- Developing your Unique Service Proposition and recognizing the importance of meaning, story, and emotion in getting your message out to the world.
- Getting beyond the fear of specializing to choose a niche that reflects your expertise and passion.
- Promoting your brand by learning the basic principles of internet marketing to generate referrals and establish an effective online presence.
- Mastering the art of the Elevator Speech that defines your distinctive service.
- Learning a 4-step approach for quickly focusing consumers’ attention on your brand.
- Create a Unique Service Proposition for the message you want to deliver.
- Apply the basic principles of internet marketing to promote your brand.
- Establish an effective online presence for your practice.
Session 3 (Casey Truffo): Creating Multiple Streams of Income
- Develop new products to offer to specialized treatment populations.
- Apply the principles of “pink spoon” marketing to promote your practice.
- Expand your business model to include new offerings.
Expand your vision of how to increase your income and deliver your therapeutic services by:
- Learning how to leverage your time and energy by distinguishing between having a job and running a business.
- Developing information products that draw on your expertise working with specialized treatment populations.
- Understanding the principles of “pink spoon” marketing.
- Expanding your practice model to include new approaches and formats, like conducting retreats and intensives.
- Becoming a practice manager or developing a concierge practice.
Session 4 (Nicholas Cummings): Integrated Behavioral Healthcare and You
Get an overview of the professional and economic factors shaping the future of private practice and the new career opportunities emerging for therapists by:
- Reviewing the historical relationship between psychotherapy and the larger healthcare system.
- Examining the current trends shaping the direction of managed care and the economic prospects for private practitioners in the future.
- Exploring how the crisis in healthcare today is creating new roles for psychotherapists within the medical system.
- Describing the knowledge base and other skills that professionals trained in the growing field of behavioral healthcare will need to succeed in a medical practice setting.
- Looking at how to best position yourself to maximize your earning potential within the healthcare system of tomorrow.
- Explain the relationship between psychotherapy and the larger healthcare system.
- Explore how the current healthcare crisis is creating new roles for psychotherapists.
- Determine how to best position your practice in the new healthcare system.
Session 5 (Jeff Auerbach): Coaching for Mental Health Professionals
Explore what the emerging professional specialty of coaching may have to offer you by:
- Learning how to distinguish coaching from psychotherapy.
- Looking at the opportunities and career prospects in the various types of coaching: Executive coaching, wellness coaching, and personal coaching, among others.
- Finding out what additional skills and knowledge you need to become an effective coach.
- Examining the characteristics of therapists who’ve been most successful in transitioning to coaching.
- Surveying the best approaches to finding coaching clients and marketing coaching services.
- Explain the differences between coaching and psychotherapy.
- Identify the opportunities available in various types of coaching.
- Determine the best approaches to finding coaching clients and marketing coaching services.
Session 6 (DeeAnna Nagel): Therapy’s Digital Future
Survey the rapidly growing range of technology-delivered alternatives to face-to-face therapy and what they might mean for your professional future by:
- Learning about the differences among email, chat, audio, video, and virtual reality as platforms for the therapeutic encounter.
- Examining the Disinhibition Effect and how it can shape online therapy.
- Exploring the ethical and legal issues that must be considered when offering online therapy.
- Defining the distinctive therapeutic challenges faced by online therapists, and the additional skills and training they may require.
- Discussing how to integrate an online practice into a more traditional practice model and how to maximize the possibilities for increased income.
- List the differences between various online platforms when used for therapeutic encounters.
- Define the Disinhibition Effect and how it can shape online therapy.
- Identify ethical and legal issues that come with offering therapy online.
The Practice & Business of Coaching: Transform Your Clinical Skills to Create a Thriving Practice
The Coaching Process De-Mystified
- The coaching paradigm vs. the therapy paradigm
- Coaching specialties: executive coaching, life coaching, health coaching
- What credentials do I need to practice coaching?
- A step-by-step guide to conducting a coaching session
The 4 Phases of an Effective Coaching Process
- Discover where the client really wants to go
- Map the journey there
- Inspire the client to take the steps to get there
- Go further
How to Succeed in the Business of Coaching
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset
- Business and financial fundamentals to boost your success
- The advantages of defining your brand and finding your niche
- Proven marketing methods to attract more clients
- Explain several differences between the coaching paradigm and the therapy paradigm.
- Describe how to conduct an effective coaching session.
- Discuss at least 3 ways to market a coaching practice.
Improve the Profitability of Your Practice: Proven Business & Marketing Methods for Behavior Health Professionals
What They Don’t Teach In Grad School
- What you must focus on first
- Techniques to improve 5 key business areas
- Why most small businesses fail and what to do about it
- Understand the true entrepreneurial mindset
- What you may not know about “profit”
- Increase cash flow from non-traditional sources
Create a Brain-Based Marketing Campaign: Step-By-Step
- Strategies that make sense for your practice
- The who-what-where-and-how of marketing
- Attract the type of client you really want
- The most powerful words in marketing
- Avoid common mistakes and save money
- The successful formula for all marketing materials revealed
- Real-life marketing examples
- Create truly effective advertisements
The 3 Essential Components of Social-Media Marketing
- How to acquire followers
- How to create quality updates
- How to increase responsiveness
- Know specific marketing techniques that can increase profit
- State the formula for all marketing materials
- List 4 of the most powerful words in marketing
- Discuss the 3 essential components of social-media marketing